For the treatment and control of adult and immature roundworm, lungworm and bots.
Kills large redworms, small redworms, hairworms, pinworms, roundworms, neck threadworms, intestinal threadworms, large-mouth stomach worms, lungworms and bots.
Treats a wide range of worms as shown, including tapeworm when dosed at the standard rate. For dosing in the spring and autumn.
Kills large redworms, small redworms, hairworms, pinworms, roundworms, neck threadworms, intestinal threadworms, large-mouth stomach worms, lungworms, bots and tapeworms.
Tips For Successful Worming:
Follow a strategic worming programme
By following a strategic worming plan you will ensure that you are using the correct active ingredient and not just swapping brands, avoiding parasite resistance. If in doubt please consult your qualified Animal Health Advisor in Store.
Dose your horse accurately
Do not guess your horse’s weight, a weighbridge is the most reliable method to determine weight, but a weigh tape used correctly will give a good guide.
Worm at the same time
All horses on the same yard/pasture should be wormed at the same time with the same product to ensure no ‘carriers’ are left to contaminate your pasture.
Worm all new arrivals
Keep new horses stabled for 48 hours after worming to ensure that any eggs are passed before being turned out to avoid contamination of the pasture.
Remove droppings from your pasture
Poo pick at least twice a week during the grazing season. A 450kg horse produces 5-12 heaps or approx 24kg of dung a day, that’s around 10 tonnes a year.
Keep a record
The worming planner is available from the Animal Health Advisors at Mole Valley Farmers, SCATS Countrystores and CWG Farm & Country. This will help keep a record of when you worm and what you use.
Foals have a low resistance to worms and can quickly acquire massive worm burdens. Worming should start between 4 to 6 weeks of age. molemec can be used in foals of any age. molemec plus can be used from 2 months of age.
Dosing intervals vary from 4, 6, 8 and 13 weeks depending on the active ingredient. Always read the box and product leaflet before use.
As a general guide
• Treat for roundworms through the summer and spring as required.
• Treat for tapeworms at least twice a year (autumn and again in spring).
• Treat for bot fly larvae in autumn.
• Treat for encysted small red worms (cyathostomins) in late autumn/winter, using a single dose of moxidectin or five days of fendendazole.
Faecal Egg Counts
Effective use of faecal worm egg counts, where a sample of dung is tested, will allow you to monitor your horse’s worm burden. This test detects the presence of adult stages of roundworms. Test are mainly performed through spring and summer and possibly early autumn.
Faecal egg counts are very useful and easy to do, what do they tell us?
- Is worming your horse or group of horses necessary?
- Less worming means less drugs used.
- Less drugs will also slow down the inevitable resistance that develops from overuse of worming products.
- They do not detect tapeworm and do not detect the encysted (hibernating) stage of the small redworm.
- They do not detect bots as these are not worms, but fly larvae.
A Faecal Worm Egg Count Service
A Faecal Worm Egg Count Service is available from Mole Valley Farmers, SCATS Countrystores and CWG Farm & Country.
- You can bring a dung sample (golf ball size is more than enough) into a store or collect a kit and post the dung sample back to us in the package provided.
- It is important that the sample is fresh and you can identify which horse it was taken from.
- Your results will be reported back to you by our qualified Animal Health Advisors and an advice plan will be discussed, this is backed up by our in-house vet.
molemec™ Paste for Horses
Each syringe of both molemec and molemec plus can treat up to 600kg of bodyweight and can be used in conjunction with other equine health care products.
molemec Plus also contains praziquantel for the treatment of tapeworms, with no need to increase the standard dose.
Ask about multi-buy discounts if you require more than 5 packs.
Important - Veterinary Medicine Regulations 2005
If your order contains PML or POM-VPS medicine you will receive a telephone call to confirm the order. Please ensure we have your contact details, a mobile telephone number is always helpful. We reserve the right not to supply any medicine at our own discretion.
|Take advantage of FREE worming planning and advice from our qualified staff in store at CW Farm & Country, Mole Valley Farmers and SCTS Countrystores, or by calling the team at molevalleyfarmers.com on 0844 272 4900|